To Art Galleries
and Visual Arts, Theatre, Music
History and More
The Keys are made up of small towns and communities. However, due to
the strong economy from our tourist base, the Arts are a primary part
of our culture. Most weekends bring festivals and street parties throughout
the Keys and especially in Key West. Photography of wildlife here is
also great. Check out www.dhphotoart.comThe Florida Keys Council of the
Arts does a great job in supporting Art in the Keys http://www.keysarts.com/
Also see the Key West Arts and historical society http://www.kwahs.com/
• The Keys Community Concert Band. Susan Bazin 451-4530.
• Keys Chamber Orchestra. Call Inga-Lisa Wright, 305-744-0508
• The Key West Pops, Inc. - 305 293-7658, P.O. Box 6206
• Note to musicians-There are about a zillion Tiki bars etc, that have live
music. The times range from the afternoon through the evening. The pay is generally
better than you'll find working in a regular club in the rest of the country.
In addition to that most outdoor venues shut their nusic down about 11-so the
Museums and Culture
• Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum - 305 294-1136, 907 Whitehead St.,
Key West FL
• Flagler's Station Historeum®-901 Caroline St., 1-305-295-3562.
• Key West East Martello Museum - 305 296-3913, 3501 S. Roosevelt Blvd.
• Key West Lighthouse Museum - 305 294-0012, 938 Whitehead Street
• Key West Museum of Art & History - 305 295-6616
• Key West Shipwreck Historeum - 305 292-8990, 1 Whitehead Street
• Little White House Museum - 305 294-9911
• Lofton B. Sands African Bahamian Museum - 305 293-9692,
• Wrecker's Museum - 322 Duval St., 294-9502.Theater/dance
• Middle Florida Keys
• Marathon Community Theatre, 5101 O/S Hwy.....305 743-0994
• Key West Theatre
• Island Opera Theatre.....305 296-1520
• Red Barn Theatre, 319 Duval St (Rear).....305 296-9911
• Waterfront Playhouse, Mallory Square.....305 294-5015Art Galleries/ Visual
• Over 90 galleries throughout the Keys
• Note to Artists; regardless of the medium, ther is a place for you in
the Keys. The Keys strongly support resident artists.Writers groups in all genres
(from screenwriting to novels) are spread throughout the Keys.
There is definitely
a reason so many world class writers and Play-rights have made and do
make the Keys their home. Especially Key West.(“Ernest Hemingway” )
and actor community here is strong.In conclusion, the arts community
in the keys is strong and will even grow stronger. If you like the arts
and a small community with lots of outdoor opportunities, The Florida
Keys could be just your place.Wouldn’t
it be nice to vacation here and not have to leave?